ChiTownM Facebook Page ChiTownM Twitter ChiTownM Youtube Channel ChiTownM Instagram

Go Back   ChiTown ///M Forum - Chicago's BMW ///M Club Site > Other Cars Discussions > BMWs (non-M) Section

Old 12-26-2014, 07:13 AM
LUSTR Auto Detail

Send a message via AIM to Ivan Rajic
Default E36 325 overheating issue...

Last night my wife's E36 325 started to heat up and I'm feeling lucky that I was driving. Turned it off and coasted in neutral along the highway as soon as the gauge hit the 3/4 mark so I'm pretty sure nothing really bad happened. There were no coolant leaks and the clutch fan seemed to be working fine, so I'm assuming it's the aux fan as I didn't see it working when I turned the car on after it cooled down to just above 1/2 on the gauge.

How do I test if it's the aux fan before I start replacing the water pump (i know I should soon anyway) and tstat, which is only 10k miles old?

Thanks

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Check the electrical connection to test if there is power supply to it. Then jump it with some power to see if it will run. It will be underneath the connector. The AUX fan on the highway shouldn't be an issue anways. Usually it will come on in traffic and due to the colder climates while driving you shouldn't have an issue. My cousin doesn't even run one ever in the winter. I had to make his a manual switch.

It can be a bad thermostat which I would say would be the culprit but not AUX fan.

Symptoms of a bad AUX fan is in traffic it would overheat or just keeping it idle. Also try to pressure test your whole system you might have a small leak.

Another test to see if it will kick on (fan) would be turn it to the blue(cold) and put the A/C button on. Blast it and stand and see if the aux fan will turn. It should turn within a minute or two.

Good luck I hate e36 gremlins I've had about a dozen or so of these cars and own two currently so I know a lot of their cooling system failures.

3/4 towards red won't do any damage to your vehicle.

Another possible thing is AIR in your system. Try rebleeding the system. Does your heat work well?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 PM
//M at heart

The two sources I look for overheating problems on the E36 motors are always fan clutch and water pump. +1 to pressure testing the system for shits and giggles.

2006 Sparkling Graphite Metallic E90

ZIMA Motorsports

Old 12-27-2014, 05:12 PM
LUSTR Auto Detail

Send a message via AIM to Ivan Rajic

Aux fan is fine. I swapped the tstat and while bleeding it sits fairly consistently near 1/2 but creeps up slowly. Probably the wp going out. I'll probably just do a full cooling system replacement and call it a day.

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!