ChiTownM Facebook Page ChiTownM Twitter ChiTownM Youtube Channel ChiTownM Instagram

Go Back   ChiTown ///M Forum - Chicago's BMW ///M Club Site > Other Cars Discussions > BMWs (non-M) Section

Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Cool Need help w/ E36 coilover kit ideas

What would be a good coilover kit (company) to put on my E36 convertible- something that isn't going to break the bank, that isn't going to rust, and last.. I only drive car in the spring & summer.
Is there a difference between coilover kit & ground control?
Do I need a special sway bar?
So let me know some ideas and why is needed... Looking to purchase soon an put on by early spring... Thanks guys/gals
Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 PM

St's are good for the price. You can get brand new for less than a thousand and they work just like KW1 which is perfect for street and occasional track.

GC kit has camber plates which are already in package. So if you looking to do aggressive stance go for it.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 AM

I had BC racing for a while, they run just under $1k, and comes with camber plates plates. gives you around 3 degress to maybe 3.5 of camber up front. I liked them, there are also have adjustable dampening, I got mine with pretty stiff springs and it was pretty damn rough ride even on softest setting. however that's also because I have solid/poly bushings everywhere.
I was happy with BC, well build, decent ride and nice adjustability. just get them in street/light track spring rates.

also sway bar setup can also be helpful but it will depend on the spring rates you will get.
normally, on stock or close to stock suspension you want a nice thick hollow bar up front, and bigger solid bar in the back. but if they spring rates are stiff in the back you either run a smaller bar or no bar at all in the back.

Suspension tuning is fun lol good luck

1993 328IT
MOTOR/TURBO: m52( .140 mls, APR) TRM Tune, 6262 DBB .84TS, T4 OtisFold twinscroll manifold, dual 38mm Tial wgs and 50mm bov
CHASSIS: 100% reinforced+powdercoated, BCRacing Coilovers, (996TT) Rear brakes, Z06 front brakes,Hotchkins front Sway bar,Xbrace,330I steering rack.
Body:18x9/11 Forgestars, widened front fenders, rear flares, Imola flat red
Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks guys (Mf3ST & Killam3) for all the info.. Great info for me to get what I need..
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to MRDRD M

Let me know if you want BC I'd be interested in selling mine!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM

like everyone is saying it depends on what kind of ride you want. Coilovers can be set to what you want but can be stiff which makes it a little bit jumpy. Springs are a little more smoother ride but everything really is up to you. I have ground control coil overs with bilstein struts. I spend about $800 on a new set up and I like it.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:13 PM

Mrdrd- how much are you looking to sell yours? How old are they- is it hard to install in E36?